Competition Information & Preparation
The culmination of an exciting year. Will you be a lucky member of the Virginia Delegation?
State Leadership Conference
A weekend of leadership academies and competition to determine who will move on to International Competition.
District Leadership Conference
The first leg of competition starts at home! Connect with your District Advisor for dates, information and more.
Virginia Only Series
High school freshmen are given special access to three Virginia exclusive events through DLC & SLC.
Principles of Business Administration Events
Specifically designed for first-year DECA members, DECA’s Principles of Business Administration Events measure the student’s current knowledge and skills across marketing, finance, hospitality, and business management and administration.
These solo events give students the opportunity to show proficiency through one of the career clusters. Members must take an exam pertaining to their cluster as well as participate in 1-2 Role Play scenarios.
Team Decision Making
Work as a duo through DECA’s Team Decision Making Events! Participants will analyze different business situations and be tasked to prepare and present their solution as a case study.
Written & Prepared Events
• DECA’s Business Operations Research Events provide opportunities for participants to demonstrate the knowledge and skills needed by management personnel. Students conduct actual research studies in their communities.
• DECA’s Project Management Events require participants to use project management skills to initiate, plan, execute, monitor and control and close a project.
• DECA’s Entrepreneurship Events provide opportunities to explore entrepreneurial concepts from idea generation, business planning, to growing an existing business.
• DECA’s Integrated Marketing Campaign Events provide opportunities for members to develop an integrated marketing campaign of no more than 45 days in length for a real event, product or service and present the campaign in a role-play situation.
• DECA’s Professional Selling and Consulting Events provide an opportunity for participants to demonstrate skills needed for a career in sales and/or consulting. Participants will organize and deliver a sales presentation or consultation for one or more products/services/customers.
A school-based enterprise (SBE) is an entrepreneurial operation in a school setting that provides goods/services to meet the needs of the market. SBEs are managed and operated by students as hands-on learning laboratories that integrate National Curriculum Standards in marketing, finance, hospitality or management.
Performance Indicators are used to define the parameters of the comprehensive written career cluster exam and other activities that are part of the overall competition. (see also )
Exam make up - which topics are emphasized and where to start your classroom instruction.
Virginia DECA Practice Tests
ALL submitted VA DECA members have access to practice tests on line at no cost.
Submitted members will use their member number and password for access to tests. Advisors can find login details in the Virginia DECA Shared Folder on the page of this website.
Master the Content
• Marketing Vocabulary List (BROKEN LINK)
• Key Concepts Sheet (BROKEN LINK)
Competition Quick Links
Virginia Quick Reference Guide (BROKEN LINK)
Understand SLC Scoring (BROKEN LINK)
Preparation Tools (BROKEN LINK)